Maria Auxiliadora was born in Campo Belo, Minas Gerais, in 1935. She was the 6th child of 18 siblings from a humble Minas Gerais family who moved to São Paulo in 1966. From 1967 onwards, Maria Auxiliadora da Silva dedicated herself entirely to painting. Until then, she survived from humble and honorable professions, such as maid, clothes ironer and embroiderer, but she soon became one of the most creative and original personalities in Brazilian naif art. His canvases became part of the collection of important international museums dedicated to naïve painting. Encouraged by Mario Schemberg (physicist, art critic and great stimulator of popular art), Maria Auxiliadora was promoted by dealer Arnhold Werner, who revealed her extraordinary talent in Europe. Between 1978 and 1981, her works were presented in solo exhibitions in Germany, England and France, earning applause from the specialized critics, even being focused on a book exquisitely edited by the Italian Bolaffi, with a text by Professor Bardi, in four languages. She died in 1974, victim of cancer, after a courageous and moving fight against the disease.